Health Update

>> Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Dear Friends and Family,
As Facebook becomes more popular I have been using it to post little updates about myself (what I’m doing, my health, etc.) to keep all of you informed. However, I know a few of you are not on Facebook so I will continue with my health updates as much as possible. I’m not always forthcoming about what is going on with me on Facebook, anyway. Instead I usually just ask for extra prayers and good thoughts when I am having a rough time.

I am writing from Rochester, Minnesota this evening. I am here for my 3-month check-up (both UNMC and Mayo want to see me every 3 months while I am on the transplant list). I am hoping to have some things cleared up and made better while I am here.

Pain control has become a bigger issue as I have more abdominal and liver pain. It is hard for me to sit up for more than a few hours, sometimes less. And lying down is rather uncomfortable as well. I’ve also had increasing pain in my joints, especially the knees and shoulders. Nausea is a bigger issue as well. I’ve also been having very bad chills (although no fever). Portal hypertension has been pretty well controlled but it’s still an issue sometimes. Heptaic Encephalopathy has been much worse as of late with my last ammonia level being 160! Note: Normal ammonia is 24-40.


My MELD score was at a 23 a couple months ago but it’s gone down to 20 (lower on the list so to speak) as I’ve become sicker. My bilirubin is higher, however, so jaundice, itching, aches and digestion are worse. While bilirubin factors into the MELD score it does not count as high as, say, the INR (which has gotten a tiny bit better) and Creatinine (which has mostly stayed the same).


I’m going to discuss with my doctors the possibility of having my case presented before the UNOS board to see if my score can’t be brought up. I’m not sure how that will go over as I’m not currently hospitalized or suffering from any major infections. Mostly I just want to see if there’s anything to be found out that can help me be in less pain and live a fuller life while waiting for a transplant.


Tomorrow I start appointments. I will do my best to update you all along the way.


Thank you to all of you for lending your support and prayers through this time!


Much love,

Becca

0 comments:

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Free Blogger Templates Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP