Mayo Days 1 & 2

>> Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Health Update
February 16th, 2011

Tuesday:

Had abdomminal and vaginal ultrasound. It hurt less that I had anticipated and soon I was dozing. Then it was off for a blood test and to give a urine sample. Too tired and sore to walk back to my hotel room, I napped in the sun on a couch in the Gonda building where one of the walls is a big window. Also, I had a yogurt parfait and some hot chocolate which I, of course, dribbled on my Super Liver PSC Partners shirt.

Next I saw Lynn, my wonderful transplant nurse coordinator. I gave her my first attempt at lucky star hoop earrings and an origami string (she picked stars made out of pink paper with hearts and musical notes printed on it). I was really not feeling well and just sort of moaned to her. Not too long after I saw my liver doctor, Dr. Tahlwalker. He ordered MRIs of my legs and gave me some Tramadol for the pain until we could figure out what was going on. We also discussed presenting my case before the UNOS board to see if my MELD score could be brought up a few points. He is going to talk to my surgeon, Dr. Rosen about it and he sounded pretty confident that this could be done. With my bilirubin so high, my symptoms being what they are and my high ammonia level (which is hard for me to control because I have a hard time the Lactulose) I probably have a pretty standard case. Dr. Rosen came in to say hi to me and really just said, “You look very green.”

I gave a good amount of origami strings to the ladies and gents at the desks on the transplant clinic floor and told them to give them to people who were having a particularly hard time. But really they could go to anybody. I new creation of mine is also hanging with the other origami at the check-in desk.

Then it was time to chill and eat delivered Japanese food. The Tramadol Dr. Tahlwalker had given me was helping my pain so I had a much easier evening than I would have had without it. Tramadol is not a narcotic but is very close to one. I take as small a dose as possible as little as possible. It won’t get in the way of my standing on the transplant list. I mean, it was okay-ed by my Mayo transplant doctor, so all is well.


Wednesday:

First off I saw the social worker. Got info to contact the donor family of my current liver. Basically I can write a letter just telling them how much I appreciate their sacrifice/gift and tell them how it’s helped me live a fuller life. The letter is then sent through an agency so it’s all very anonymous. The donor family has the option of contacting me back but I am told this doesn’t happen often.

Had an MRI of my legs which I, of course, slept through. Saw the gynecologist about my ultrasound but everything looks good, so that’s a relief.

During lunch I met another person on the liver transplant list. I sat with him and his sister and we swapped stories and medial tips. We shared contact information and got some pictures together. Hopefully I can see them tomorrow since it’s a day off for me.

So those are the highlights. It’s been very busy and I’m exhausted.

Love and Light,
Becca

0 comments:

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Free Blogger Templates Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP